These scones are so delicious they'll become your new favorite breakfast or sweet afternoon snack.
I had tried doing a healthier version of scones before, but to be honest we really didn´t like.
These time I decided to try a different recipe which involved chocolate and made some alterations in order to make it healthy. The result was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. If you don´t believe me just give them a try and decide for yourself.
- Water down yogurt (¼ water with 3/4 cup yogurt)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup cacao nibs
- cooking spray
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ tbsp. brown sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt, in a large bowl and combine. Add the chilled butter and use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal). Gently fold in chocolate chips. Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist.
- 3. Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly with floured hands. Form dough into an 9-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick. Using a knife, cut dough into 12 wedges all the way through.
- 4. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.
If you liked the article, share it!